[arch-general] signoff kernel26-2.6.24.3-6

Geoff capsthorne at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 18:10:58 EDT 2008

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:43:14 -0700
Justin Gx <justingx2 at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> However if someone is really peeved about the direction
> that Arch has begun to take they might always fork the
> distro at the last version that was suitable to them -
> comment out some problematic pacman mirrors ;) and take a
> more 'sourced' approach to the issues they see.

I apologise for talking too much in this thread.  I don't
have the seniority for people to be much interested my
views.  Still ..

Justin, the problem with your suggestion (which in some
more or less subtle form inevitably crops up in discussions
of this kind), is its presupposition that "the direction
that Arch has begun to take" is predestined to continue.
It assumes that there has been a debate (or perhaps that no
debate was possible in the first place), and has been lost
- so that dissenters are howling at the moon.  I do not
understand this to be the case here.  So far as I can tell,
a debate is taking place to which users can contribute (no
doubt minimally), by expressing their views. Isn't that
what a general mailing list on an open source project is
for? Isn't that better than walking (forking) away?

Geoff