[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] policy on desktop files?

Ryan Sims rwsims at gmail.com
Thu May 8 11:14:30 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Alessio Bolognino
<themolok.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu 2008-05-08 10:06 , Ryan Sims wrote:
>> We needn't get bogged down in another "is this the ARCH WAY?!?!"
>> conversation here;
>
> I swear I don't want to.

I believe you, I just wanted to preempt one.

>> I don't think it needs to be a policy decision.  If
>> neither Arch nor upstream want to deal with .desktop files (and they
>> both seem to have their reasons), would it be possible to host some
>> space somewhere that users could post their own?  It wouldn't need to
>> be Arch-hosted, perhaps this is a sf project waiting to happen; sort
>> of a searchable repository for orphaned .desktop files?  I'd be happy
>> to go download .desktops from somewhere if they aren't already
>> included.
>
> This patch-phobia is getting ludicrous: if an application with a GUI,
> that users expect to be find in the menus, doesn't have a .desktop file,
> the maintainer should include it in the package AND submit it upstream.
>
> A repository for .desktop? Nonsense.

Sorry, I didn't mean a repository like [core],[community] or such; I
meant it in the more general sense of "a place where things are kept."
 They're small files, so a free wiki account somewhere could probably
host them without breaking much of a sweat.  One should still file
bugreports, but a .desktop library would be a stopgap solution while
the various devs work out policy.  I'm not a dev, so I can't propose
dev-oriented solutions, so I thought I'd propose a community-oriented
solution.

--
Ryan W Sims