[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] policy on desktop files?

w9ya at qrparci.net w9ya at qrparci.net
Thu May 8 12:32:16 EDT 2008

> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> bardo a TU, which mentions absolutely nothing about upstream.
>>> and notify the corresponding maintainers so they can be added to
>>> the packages." Additionally there are links to the bug tracker. I
>>> have no idea if bardo submitts them upstream as well but i doubt
>>> it.

>>> reaction, so I carried on with it, but after a while creating and
>>> providing desktop files through the bug tracker I started receiving
>>> the "upstream problem" answer. This has become pretty frequent, so
>>> lately I haven't been doing very much on the Arch side. The few
>>> developers I tried to contact didn't do anything, so I suppose
>>> there's little to no interest from them.

>>> anything, so at the moment I'm not working on it anymore.
>>>
>>> IMHO, even though I'm aggresively against patching, I don't consider
>>> the .desktop files as patches. They are some extra, *non-code* files,
>>> that is fair for the distro to provide (like other configuration
>>> files). I don't really blame the app developers that don't include
>>> them upstream.
>>
>> True, they are not patches, but they should be part of the
>> applicqations source. Requering from packagers to write & include a
>> .desktop file in their ditros for actively developed projects is IMO
>> unecceptable today with linux being part of the desktop market. If
>> they dont provide one its quite clear they dont want having one.
>> If i submit a ,desktop file upstream and it gets rejected it should be
>> treated the same as a rejected patch.
>> Exception to the above rule would be projects not being actively
>> developed anymore and only them.
>>
>> Greg
>>

> We needn't get bogged down in another "is this the ARCH WAY?!?!"
> conversation here; I don't think it needs to be a policy decision.  If
> neither Arch nor upstream want to deal with .desktop files (and they
> both seem to have their reasons), would it be possible to host some
> space somewhere that users could post their own?  It wouldn't need to be
> Arch-hosted, perhaps this is a sf project waiting to happen; sort of a
> searchable repository for orphaned .desktop files?  I'd be happy to go
> download .desktops from somewhere if they aren't already
> included.
>
> --
> Ryan W Sims

Anything that I package that could or should have a .desktop file is
supplied in the "arch-binary-tarball" I create, even if it is not
upstream.

Why ?, well there is no reason NOT to have one in such circumstances, and
often the upstream guys are expecting the downstream packagers to supply
it. <- And that's o.k. with me.

** There can also be other reasons the upstream guys don't supply a
.desktop file; but MOST importantly it is never a situation wherein the
upstream guys do not want me to add one. NO ONE has ever said "please do
NOT add that file to the binary".

So I often do add such a file.

And so it goes.....

Very best regards;