[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] policy on desktop files?

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri May 9 04:20:30 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 6:32 PM,  <w9ya at qrparci.net> wrote:

> Why ?, well there is no reason NOT to have one in such circumstances, and
> often the upstream guys are expecting the downstream packagers to supply
> it. <- And that's o.k. with me.

That's not alright. Anything that causes useless and stupid duplicated
work is not alright.
In my opinion, here is how things should work:
User X notices package foo is missing a .desktop file
X checks if a desktop file is already provided in upstream source tarball
If yes, he reports a bug on arch bug tracker asking to provide the
desktop file, and it's over.
If not, he writes a desktop file and submit it upstream.
If upstream accepts, it's over.
If upstream first refuses, people should keep insisting and trying to
make sense of them.
Finally, in the (hopefully few) cases where upstream is really too
dumb, he can submit it to arch bug tracker as an arch specific desktop
file.

Hopefully this should reduce the load of arch packagers and move it to
arch community and upstream.