[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] policy on desktop files?

Neil Darlow neil at darlow.co.uk
Fri May 9 04:57:28 EDT 2008

Hi,

Xavier wrote:
> Hopefully this should reduce the load of arch packagers and move it to
> arch community and upstream.

There is also the situation that upstream may not provide a .desktop
file on the basis of:

1) The belief that distributions should decide which menu the item
should appear on
2) The desire not to get involved with providing I18N for the .desktop
contents

If upstream is forced to provide a .desktop file which requires
modification of e.g. category or provision of additional I18N content
then we're now in the realms of patching .desktop files too.

I agree that any .desktop file we create should be submitted upstream,
at least for their consideration.

Regards,
Neil Darlow