[arch-general] netcfg2: background running

gan lu rhythm.gan at gmail.com
Sat May 10 23:54:20 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 1:35 AM, Thayer Williams <thayer at archlinux.org>
wrote:

> On 10/05/2008, gan lu <rhythm.gan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Philippe Miron <
> philippemiron at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Yep.  Actually the deamon name is net-profiles, so it should be
> > @net-profiles .
> > I tried and failed (not be recognized) unless you mean  I should add
> > net-profile in the deamon section(never tried).
>
> The relevant bits from /etc/rc.conf:
>
> HOSTNAME="dublin"
> #eth0="eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"
> #INTERFACES=(eth0)
> NETWORKS=(eth)
> DAEMONS=(syslog-ng @cpufreq @net-profiles @hal @alsa @crond @cups @mpd
> @ntpd @sshd)
>
> Note that the INTERFACES array is commented out, as is the eth0 setting
> itself.
>
> Now, my eth profile as defined in /etc/network.d/eth:
>
> # /etc/network.d/eth
> CONNECTION="ethernet"
> DESCRIPTION="A very basic ethernet profile, using dhcp"
> INTERFACE=eth0
> IP="dhcp"
> DHCP_TIMEOUT=10
>
> I also have separate profiles for the various wifi networks I connect to.
>
> Hope this helps.

Ooh, I see your way, you put net-profile in the background process
(@net-profiles) in the daemon section. It make sense,
I originally think to do it that way in net profile itself, saying:
NET-PROFILE=(ethernet-static @adsl-home) so we can easily see if and which
net profile fails when booting up.but if it's hard to implement so forget
it.
Thanks very much.