[arch-general] top posting

Mordechai Peller mep at pellerweb.com
Tue May 20 17:55:38 EDT 2008

Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:
> It is obvious that you are doing something wrong whenever you shot a gun but
> not when you use a mail client and you top-post. Of course it is not the
> same "wrong" but my point was about the *knowledge*.

Like with firing a gun, it depends on the context. Just as I could name
plenty of times firing a gun is a good thing (self defense, hunting,
sporting competitions), there are plenty of times top posting is
appropriate. Like with any tool, right or wrong isn't an intrinsic
value, but a function of use (this analogy is getting a bit out of hand).
> Anyway, as I already said, we are not argueing about whose fault is, but if we
> should top post or not.

Actually, some have blamed email clients, which I think is ridiculous,
and which is why I attempted to use humor to highlight the folly.
> My opinion ( and RFC 1855 - Netiquette Guidelines) is clear: don't top-post
> please!
In the context of this ML, I agree.