[arch-general] Any way to decrypt hashes set by ssh HashKnownHosts?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue May 20 21:47:15 EDT 2008

Thomas Bächler wrote:
> I didn't find out about this change until much later - and it pissed me
> off. For no apparent reason, we changed the default configuration of
> openssh at one point and now I have an obfuscated known_hosts file.

I agree - it would have been better for there to have been a bit more
noise made about this change.  If it was reported anywhere I must have
missed it.

> don't see any security impact in having the hosts unhashed.

Apparently there was a paper published by MIT researchers a couple of
years back that described how an attacker could use the SSH known_hosts
file to propagate a worm:

http://lwn.net/Articles/135506/

In theory it makes sense, but I'm wondering how feasible a threat it is
in practice.

DR