[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] pkgstats: first results

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 11:26:24 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 06:51:20PM +0100, Andreas Radke wrote:
>> the community repo is still a mess. it seems the TUs just put in what
>> they like not what is requested by the community. there are still
>> many packages with more than 50 votes waiting in unsupported AUR. Maybe
>> a monthly pkg move in/out should be installed by the TUs.
>
> TUs really shouldn't be adding packages if they don't use them. At the
> same time they shouldn't be adding packages solely because they use
> them. That seems to be happening an extraordinary amount. It's somewhat
> of an abuse of the server's resources.

This is the best reasoning I've heard here. The fact of the matter is,
the community repo and the AUR still run on Arch's main servers. This
uses our disk space and our resources and can have direct impact on a
lot of things. Case in point: Dan just discovered a load issue on
gerolde was largely due to a script that chmod/chown-ed the
unsupported directory. As you can see, community and the AUR can have
direct impact on the developers, and users.

Using the community repo as your own personal playground for packages
only you and two other guys use, is a tad selfish and impacts all of
us. Even if the AUR voting isn't the best way to move packages to
community, it's all we have right now. Propose something better if you
don't like it. But in all seriousness, throwing binaries up there
"just because" can (and does) cause problems for all of us.

Running a pacman repo is trivially easy. Build packages, run repo-add,
put it in a dir visible to a webserver. If there are packages that
only you use, or maybe you and your friends, or maybe you're just
experimenting with it, why not run your own repo until it gains
popularity and you're SURE it deserves to be in community.