[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] pkgstats: first results

raca raca at algohumano.net
Tue Nov 11 07:39:43 EST 2008

Cheers folks

I suggest that on the install of pacman, install scripts should be
suggested the install of pkgstats to help more people using it. 1500
submits :) how much archers are there? (I had been thinking of this some
time now lol)
Anyway, I think a better way would be the mirrors making the statics of
downloaded pkgs so it would be less intrusive and less risky. But that
would require a lot work on mirrors and statics would be bias because it
wouldn't know of pkg that are installed and uninstalled right away.

pkgstats looks nice solution for the current state of the community
(devs + AUR TUs + just users) I'm happy that someone made it come to
work :)

Another thing that would be nice to now about is if the packages are
really used. I, like (I think) most of the users just install all
packages in core and then what it misses even if doesn't use it no more
in the future.
In my case I try to keep few packages that I don't use in the arch
partition because I don't have much space to waste but I don't think I
wouldn't care much if I had a bigger partition for arch. Still I have
some packages that I even forgot I have installed, for example, the ones
that don't have a .desktop file. (The list of packages is too big to
look at it)
This is another problem but I just wanted to warn about a little bias
that might exist in the numbers :)

Greetings,
raca