[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] pkgstats: first results

Hubert Grzeskowiak arch-general-ml at nemesis13.de
Tue Nov 11 08:07:22 EST 2008

hi raca,

> I suggest that on the install of pacman, install scripts should be
> suggested the install of pkgstats to help more people using it.

i'm against. it is already easy enaugh to install & use it. and btw it
needs time to setup one's arch installation - statistics of newly
installed systems wouldn't be that meaningful, don't you think?

> Anyway, I think a better way would be the mirrors making the statics of
> downloaded pkgs so it would be less intrusive and less risky. But that
> would require a lot work on mirrors and statics would be bias because it
> wouldn't know of pkg that are installed and uninstalled right away.

to the contras ou already mentioned, there should be added:
-many people have their own mirrors
-some people are reinstalling packages from the mirrors (those not using
the cached pkgs)

> Another thing that would be nice to now about is if the packages are
> really used.

call me paranoid, but i don't want others to know what i'm exactly doing
with my computer!

regards
Hubert Grzeskowiak