[arch-general] Fifa: Flexible Installer Framework for Arch linux

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Fri Nov 14 04:04:49 EST 2008

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> My honest opinion is that this is awesome. You're the reason I love
> open source 8)

I feel flattered :)

> That said, we haven't release a 2.6.27 ISO just yet, and I need to go
> in panic mode and get it out this weekend. But for the next release,
> or even a smaller release before then, I'd *love* to incorporate this.

Can you explain how we can make that work? I assume you would
incorporate it as an additional, experimental installer first?
And if you do that, making a new category "Installer: experimental" /
"Installer: fifa" /.. on flyspray would probably be a good idea..
(Actually I'm thinking of renaming this thing.  There is already a
football association called like this and a good framework should be
flexible anyway.
AIF ? Arch Installation Framework?  Any ideas on this also welcome)

> It looks very clean and easy to follow. The only minor quibble I had
> was that in order to track things down, I felt like I was opening too
> many files. Ok this calls, blah, which is in this file, and blah does
> nothing but call bar, which is in this file, ...., ah there we go! But
> it's not a bad thing, really.

True, that's what you get with modularity, things inheriting form each
other, decoupling of UI etc :-)
I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible though (keeping the other
design goals of reusability etc in mind)

> In order to help us along... could you possibly stick a binary package
> somewhere (see https://dev.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/archlinux-installer/)?
> This will help me if I want to build an ISO using your installer. 8)

I don't have access there.  Is this the same package as
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/archlinux-installer/ ?