[arch-general] Archive xorg-server 1.4 on Arch Server

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun Nov 16 15:10:04 EST 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 15:00 -0500, pyther wrote:
> I'm a bit confused. Can you explain to me about this Vsync thing?
>
> When running xorg-server 1.4 I was able to get ~650fps. I have not
> changed
> my xorg.conf since switching to xorg-server 1.5 where I get a max of
> 60fps.

There's no such thing as a 90% performance drop, glxgears is not a
benchmark. As for vsync, it means that your framerate is tied to your
refreshrate. This is done by default now to avoid heavy tearing issues
when using 3D on intel chips.
To restore to the old behaviour, put this in your ~/.drirc:

<driconf>
  <device screen="0" driver="i915">
    <application name="Default">
      <option name="vblank_mode" value="0" />
    </application>
  </device>
</driconf>

Replace i915 with the driver that suits your intel chip.

I would advise against using xf86-video-intel-2.5.x and libdrm-2.4.x
until GEM is merged into the kernel and things start using it. We're
sticking to xf86-video-intel-2.4.x and libdrm-2.3.1 now because the
newer versions cause regressions. The main improvements in the 2.5
series are related to GEM, and as long as our kernel doesn't have that,
there's no need for a newer driver than 2.4.x.