[arch-general] Archive xorg-server 1.4 on Arch Server

pyther pyther at pyther.net
Sun Nov 16 15:32:30 EST 2008

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 21:10:04 +0100, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net>
wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 15:00 -0500, pyther wrote:
>
> There's no such thing as a 90% performance drop, glxgears is not a
> benchmark. As for vsync, it means that your framerate is tied to your
> refreshrate. This is done by default now to avoid heavy tearing issues
> when using 3D on intel chips.
> To restore to the old behaviour, put this in your ~/.drirc:
>
> <driconf>
>   <device screen="0" driver="i915">
>     <application name="Default">
>       <option name="vblank_mode" value="0" />
>     </application>
>   </device>
> </driconf>
>
> Replace i915 with the driver that suits your intel chip.
>
> I would advise against using xf86-video-intel-2.5.x and libdrm-2.4.x
> until GEM is merged into the kernel and things start using it. We're
> sticking to xf86-video-intel-2.4.x and libdrm-2.3.1 now because the
> newer versions cause regressions. The main improvements in the 2.5
> series are related to GEM, and as long as our kernel doesn't have that,
> there's no need for a newer driver than 2.4.x.

That works wonders!

Thank you so much and I'm sorry for all the trouble I caused! I am
surprised I did not find that anywhere through Google.

As I am sure this is going to be any issue for other users should this
information be put into a wiki entry? Then there could be a post-install
message for xf86-video-intel which directs users to that wiki page?

Also do you mind if I put that information on the gentoo bug tracker?

Sorry Again!