[arch-general] Problem with loading modules in 2.6.27

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Oct 30 06:09:34 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 10:58 +0100, solsTiCe d'Hiver wrote:
> Le jeudi 30 octobre 2008 à 07:20 +0530, Shridhar Daithankar a écrit :
> > I have noticed a strange pause after either loading modules or loading
> > standard ACPI modules. It started happening after I upgraded to 2.6.27. When I
> > hit enter, the boot continues normally. It does not happen everytime but 1 in
> > 3 boots, it "hangs".
>
> i just want to add that :
> here since the upgrade i notice that i almost always have the acpid
> daemon that FAIL when started when i boot up.
> it shows the error in the console
> acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event: Device or ressource busy.
>
> if i restart it manually. it works.
> it was working before this upgrade without error with my current setup.
> acpid is the last in DAEMONS list

acpid needs exclusive access to /proc/acpi/event. Hal also wants
exclusive access to this device. When hal detects that you have acpid
installed, it will first start acpid and then start itself. If you put
acpid after hal in DAEMONS, you will get a FAIL on acpid because it was
either already started, or /proc/acpi/event is already in use.