[arch-general] anyone had problems with archlinux-2008.06-ftp-i686.iso?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Sep 26 03:37:03 EDT 2008

Chris Brannon schrieb:
> I'm new to Arch.  The other day, I downloaded the ISO mentioned in the subject
> line.  I remastered the image, because I needed some extra programs.  I'm
> blind.  I added a screenreader and a text-to-speech engine to the ISO,
> so that I could have spoken feedback during the install.  I also added
> alsa-utils, alsa-lib, and a few miscellaneous packages.

I wonder whether we should have those packages on the CD by default. It
is especially difficult for a blind person to use a computer, and we
force you to remaster the image yourself before you can use it. Worth a
thought.

> For instance, after typing "ps" at the bash prompt, the system locked up.
> It was unable to load the ps executable or one of its shared libraries from
> the CD.  Sometimes, it would print the message "input-output error", and
> return to a working bash prompt.  I could hear my CD-ROM drive clicking whenever
> it tried to load the executable.  It just sat there for five or more minutes,
> spinning and clicking.

The fact that your drive is making noises indicates that either the
drive, the CD or the writer that wrote the CD are broken.

> I also noticed that Arch is writing data to its unionfs.  Most of the data
> seems to be written to /var/log.  Should a live CD be writing to logfiles?

It is really useful. And it only uses a few KB of memory. I don't see it
as a problem.