[arch-general] anyone had problems with archlinux-2008.06-ftp-i686.iso?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 04:09:31 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:37 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Chris Brannon schrieb:
>>
>> I'm new to Arch.  The other day, I downloaded the ISO mentioned in the
>> subject
>> line.  I remastered the image, because I needed some extra programs.  I'm
>> blind.  I added a screenreader and a text-to-speech engine to the ISO,
>> so that I could have spoken feedback during the install.  I also added
>> alsa-utils, alsa-lib, and a few miscellaneous packages.
>
> I wonder whether we should have those packages on the CD by default. It is
> especially difficult for a blind person to use a computer, and we force you
> to remaster the image yourself before you can use it. Worth a thought.

I agree. At the very least, we can offer an alternate "accessibility"
version which would have tools like this for blind users and the like.

Chris, what software do you need, or think others may need, when it
comes to things like this?

>> For instance, after typing "ps" at the bash prompt, the system locked up.
>> It was unable to load the ps executable or one of its shared libraries
>> from
>> the CD.  Sometimes, it would print the message "input-output error", and
>> return to a working bash prompt.  I could hear my CD-ROM drive clicking
>> whenever
>> it tried to load the executable.  It just sat there for five or more
>> minutes,
>> spinning and clicking.
>
> The fact that your drive is making noises indicates that either the drive,
> the CD or the writer that wrote the CD are broken.

The other option is that remastering the CD was goofy. I expect the
iso was unpacked, and software added to it which may or may not have
been built against the same libraries. I am assuming Chris did not go
through the process of building the ISO with archiso.