[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] nano -w (was: Re: [signoff] nano 2.0.8-1)

Anders Bergh anders1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 15:00:08 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> woohoo. such a small editor making so much noise with only one option.
>
> i prefer to not touch the upstream nanorc we install. after many
> requests i followed Fedora and many other major distributions and
> disabled the line wrapping completely via configure.
>
> i don't know any good situation when line wrapping is useful expect in
> writing mails. but who is using nano for that task? (i guess alpine
> users go with pico).
>
> so why do some people want that wrapping back?
>
> i think a small note about no line wrapping in our installer when it
> shows the choise for vi/nano is much more than needed.
>
> -Andy

Hi,

I just wanted to note that I often use line wrapping as it's more
convenient than doing it manually. I do however enable it using key
commands, and use nowrap in nanorc (since wrapping is so frustrating
when it comes to configuration etc).

I'd prefer if nano -w was used in the installer, or nowrap in the
default nanorc. Better than disabling a feature completely.

--
Anders Bergh