[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] nano -w (was: Re: [signoff] nano 2.0.8-1)

w9ya at qrparci.net w9ya at qrparci.net
Tue Sep 30 19:31:27 EDT 2008

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
>> woohoo. such a small editor making so much noise with only one option.
>>
>> i prefer to not touch the upstream nanorc we install. after many
>> requests i followed Fedora and many other major distributions and
>> disabled the line wrapping completely via configure.
>>
>> i don't know any good situation when line wrapping is useful expect in
>> writing mails. but who is using nano for that task? (i guess alpine
>> users go with pico).
>>
>> so why do some people want that wrapping back?
>>
>> i think a small note about no line wrapping in our installer when it
>> shows the choise for vi/nano is much more than needed.
>>
>> -Andy
>>

> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to note that I often use line wrapping as it's more
> convenient than doing it manually. I do however enable it using key
> commands, and use nowrap in nanorc (since wrapping is so frustrating
> when it comes to configuration etc).
>
> I'd prefer if nano -w was used in the installer, or nowrap in the
> default nanorc. Better than disabling a feature completely.
>
> --
> Anders Bergh

To be blunt, I agree that it was a mistake to remove this/an option.

ARCH is **NOT** Fedora in that we want to allow our users to have choice.
It is a fundamental part of the ARCH philosophy. The packager is NOT
suppose to making these choices for the user.

And not having the choice is NOT K.I.S.S. either, as has been discussed in
the past herein. And there was NO indication that things had changed
during the install either !!

If you don't like my being blunt... OH WELL !!

But you have my thanks for at least listening.

Very best regards;

Bob Finch

Liviu Librescu - În veci pomenirea lui.
(May his memory be eternal.)