[arch-general] [Fwd: [arch-announce] Dropping i686 support]

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Wed Apr 1 03:39:05 EDT 2009

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:59:46 +0200
Nebojša Stričević <strika at archlinux.us> wrote:

> I have just bought a computer magazine "World of Computers", which is
> very popular and good in Serbia. They are writing that AMD has signed
> agreements with several most innovative Linux distributions about
> dropping support for x86. There is also a text about number of good
> sides of this agreement, since this will be push in the back for 64
> bit computing. This magazine is very solid and popular, and they
> would not make a joke about it. I am collecting this magazine for
> almost 6 years.
>
> So I also thing this is a great idea!

Well the problem is we are actively boycotting AMD.  (see news on
phoronix etc).
But then again intel's stuff is also mostly x64 (except the atom maybe,
but their are plenty of better suited distro's for that, like android)

most likely there are different opcodes available in intel x64 vs amd,
so i suggest we optimize (compile for) intel. everyone has an intel
64bit machine nowadays anyway.

PS: I'm still on 32bit, so I welcome the idea of Dusty to provide 64bit
machines for developers. (i hope it extends to release engineers?)