[arch-general] [Fwd: [arch-announce] Dropping i686 support]

Sergey Manucharian sergeym at rmico.com
Wed Apr 1 11:49:38 EDT 2009

Right now personally I use i686 Arch installed in Thinkpad R61,
although, of course, I can use x86_64 . The reason is simple - 2 or 3
years ago I tried x86_64 (with AMD box), but found no performance
improvement. More over, e.g. videoencoding with mencoder was SLOWER
than under i686. I've found that AMD suggests to use their math
libraries to get the maximum performance, but do people do that? I'm
not sure...

Just an opinion...

Cheers,
Sergey