[arch-general] [Fwd: [arch-announce] Dropping i686 support]

Thomas Bohn thomas at bohnomat.de
Wed Apr 1 13:38:04 EDT 2009

On 2009-04-01 13:58 +0200, Rafa Grimán wrote:

> IIRC, Atom has the 220 and 330 models which are x86-64 compatible. So
> there's not much of an issue with Atom.

Well, I don't care about those two, the N270 is most used Atom processor
at the moment and neither this one nor the upcoming N280 supports 64
bits. It is that simple.

> As Dieter has said, you can think Android or some other distro for x86.

The thing is, I have installed Arch Linux on my eeePC in October,
changed and did a lot to make it my system. So I pretty much doubt that
I just can switch to another distribution within a week or two.

My guess is that x86-64 has far more bugs related to the platform than
i686, so the assumption: it compiles on x86-64 so it should compile on
i686 is more valid than the other way around. I might be wrong on this
but if I'm wrong I like to see the statistics.

Thomas

P.S. Where is x86-64 really an advantage besides the 2K38 bug?