[arch-general] Wifi not working after kernel upgrade to 2.6.29

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Apr 10 05:52:20 EDT 2009

Ondřej Kučera schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I've just upgraded kernel to 2.6.29.1-3 and since then I can't connect
> to my wireless network. netcfg times out and says "Wireless association
> failed". The driver is iwl3945, here is the profile's content:
> CONNECTION="wireless"
> INTERFACE=wlan0
> SCAN="no"
> SECURITY="wpa"
> ESSID="foo"
> KEY="foobar"
> IP="dhcp"
> TIMEOUT=20
> QUIRKS=(preessid wpaessid)
>
> If I correctly understand how it all works, wpa_supplicant is run and
> then "wpa_cli status" is saying "wpa_state=SCANNING" for the whole 20
> seconds until netcfg gives up.
>
> Does anybody have similar problems or knows a solution?
>
> Perhaps also relevant lines from /var/log/everything.log:
> Apr 10 00:00:33 hermione kernel: iwl3945 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI
> 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
> Apr 10 00:00:33 hermione kernel: Registered led device: iwl-phy0:radio
> Apr 10 00:00:33 hermione kernel: Registered led device: iwl-phy0:assoc
> Apr 10 00:00:33 hermione kernel: Registered led device: iwl-phy0:RX
> Apr 10 00:00:33 hermione kernel: Registered led device: iwl-phy0:TX
> Apr 10 00:00:33 hermione kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not
> ready
> Apr 10 00:00:55 hermione kernel: iwl3945 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A disabled

Is wpa_supplicant even running? I looked into the issue with someone on
IRC and in his case, wpa_supplicant wouldn't start! wpa_supplicant -dd
would say:

Using existing control interface directory.
ctrl_interface_group=10 (from group name 'wheel')
ctrl_iface bind(PF_UNIX) failed: Address already in use
ctrl_iface exists and seems to be in use - cannot override it
Delete '/var/run/wpa_supplicant/wlan0' manually if it is not used anymore
Failed to initialize control interface 'DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
GROUP=wheel'.
You may have another wpa_supplicant process already running or the file was
left by an unclean termination of wpa_supplicant in which case you will need
to manually remove this file before starting wpa_supplicant again.

He said that /var/run/wpa_supplicant didn't exist at the time. I don't
understand it, but it might be the same thing that is happening to you.
It might also explain why this is only happening to WPA networks for
some people.