[arch-general] Wifi not working after kernel upgrade to 2.6.29

Ondřej Kučera ondrej.kucera at centrum.cz
Fri Apr 10 05:56:15 EDT 2009

Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Ondřej Kučera schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just upgraded kernel to 2.6.29.1-3 and since then I can't connect
>> to my wireless network. netcfg times out and says "Wireless
>> association failed". The driver is iwl3945, here is the profile's
>> content:
>> CONNECTION="wireless"
>> INTERFACE=wlan0
>> SCAN="no"
>> SECURITY="wpa"
>> ESSID="foo"
>> KEY="foobar"
>> IP="dhcp"
>> TIMEOUT=20
>> QUIRKS=(preessid wpaessid)
>>
>> If I correctly understand how it all works, wpa_supplicant is run and
>> then "wpa_cli status" is saying "wpa_state=SCANNING" for the whole 20
>> seconds until netcfg gives up.
>>
>> Does anybody have similar problems or knows a solution?
>>
>> Perhaps also relevant lines from /var/log/everything.log:
>> Apr 10 00:00:33 hermione kernel: iwl3945 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A ->
>> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
>> Apr 10 00:00:33 hermione kernel: Registered led device: iwl-phy0:radio
>> Apr 10 00:00:33 hermione kernel: Registered led device: iwl-phy0:assoc
>> Apr 10 00:00:33 hermione kernel: Registered led device: iwl-phy0:RX
>> Apr 10 00:00:33 hermione kernel: Registered led device: iwl-phy0:TX
>> Apr 10 00:00:33 hermione kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is
>> not ready
>> Apr 10 00:00:55 hermione kernel: iwl3945 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A disabled
>
> Is wpa_supplicant even running? I looked into the issue with someone on
> IRC and in his case, wpa_supplicant wouldn't start! wpa_supplicant -dd
> would say:
>
> Using existing control interface directory.
> ctrl_interface_group=10 (from group name 'wheel')
> ctrl_iface bind(PF_UNIX) failed: Address already in use
> ctrl_iface exists and seems to be in use - cannot override it
> Delete '/var/run/wpa_supplicant/wlan0' manually if it is not used anymore
> Failed to initialize control interface 'DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> GROUP=wheel'.
> You may have another wpa_supplicant process already running or the file was
> left by an unclean termination of wpa_supplicant in which case you will
> need
> to manually remove this file before starting wpa_supplicant again.
>
> He said that /var/run/wpa_supplicant didn't exist at the time. I don't
> understand it, but it might be the same thing that is happening to you.
> It might also explain why this is only happening to WPA networks for
> some people.

I may look into that again in the evening but I'm quite sure that
wpa_supplicant was running. I was able to run wpa_cli status without any
weird errors or warnings. The only problem was that the status was
"SCANNING" all the time (as I mentioned) which means that netcfg gives
up after 20 seconds.

Ondřej

--
Cheers,