[arch-general] Problems rebuilding kernel with alsa 1.0.19

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Apr 14 12:07:52 EDT 2009

My sound module's (snd-hda-intel) been broken in ALSA for a while now.
Was working around the problem by keeping myself on kernel 2.6.27, but
finally gave that up this week (for various reasons) and now I'm without
sound again.

Tried using OSS instead, but that didn't work either (no headphone
support for my codec), so I'm now trying to rebuild the kernel with ALSA
1.0.19 support, since that version of ALSA is supposed to fix the
problem.  (The current kernel apparently uses version 1.0.18a.)

Not having much luck though.  I followed instructions on the ALSA wiki
build page on how to copy the ALSA source onto the kernel source before
building, but the build is failing when it hits the sound modules:

   CC [M]  sound/core/sound_oss.o
   CC [M]  sound/core/info_oss.o
   CC [M]  sound/core/vmaster.o
   CC [M]  sound/core/jack.o
sound/core/jack.c:31: error: ‘SW_VIDEOOUT_INSERT’ undeclared here (not
in a function)
make[2]: *** [sound/core/jack.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [sound/core] Error 2
make: *** [sound] Error 2
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
     Aborting...

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be and/or how to work around
the problem?

TIA,

DR