[arch-general] network WTF

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Apr 15 10:52:14 EDT 2009

Thomas Bächler wrote:
> David Rosenstrauch schrieb:
>> I'll take a look, thanks.
>>
>> That said, not sure why it would be working on one laptop but not the
>> other.  Maybe there's an answer in one of those threads.
>
> I was never able to scan as unprivileged user and I think you are not
> supposed to be able to do it! I don't understand this fuss about it at all.

The fuss is the resulting consequence that I mentioned in the 2nd part
of my email:

 > What makes this even more annoying is that apparently some of the
wireless tools I'm using suffer from this restriction as well.  So on
the old laptop, kwifimanager and knemo show accurate info about the
current connection (bit rate, link quality, etc.) while on the new
laptop these come up empty.

Those tools, which work great on one laptop, are pretty much useless on
the other one if they're not able to perform a scan.

DR