[arch-general] network WTF

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Apr 15 12:54:00 EDT 2009

David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> David Rosenstrauch schrieb:
>>> I'll take a look, thanks.
>>>
>>> That said, not sure why it would be working on one laptop but not the
>>> other.  Maybe there's an answer in one of those threads.
>>
>> I was never able to scan as unprivileged user and I think you are not
>> supposed to be able to do it! I don't understand this fuss about it at
>> all.
>
> The fuss is the resulting consequence that I mentioned in the 2nd part
> of my email:
>
>  > What makes this even more annoying is that apparently some of the
> wireless tools I'm using suffer from this restriction as well.  So on
> the old laptop, kwifimanager and knemo show accurate info about the
> current connection (bit rate, link quality, etc.) while on the new
> laptop these come up empty.
>

> Those tools, which work great on one laptop, are pretty much useless on
> the other one if they're not able to perform a scan.
>
> DR

Looks like scanning is just a symptom.  This appears to be more the crux
of the issue:

[darose at daroselin ~]$ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11  Nickname:""
           Access Point: Not-Associated
           Link Quality:5  Signal level:213  Noise level:169
           Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:0  invalid misc:0

tun0      no wireless extensions.

[darose at daroselin ~]$ sudo iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"<our ap name>"  Nickname:""
           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point:
00:1B:2F:0C:BD:9E
           Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:32 dBm
           Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
           Power Managementmode:All packets received
           Link Quality=5/5  Signal level=-41 dBm  Noise level=-87 dBm

tun0      no wireless extensions.

Not sure what's causing the discrepancy here.  Something in my driver?
(Broadcom wl.)  Have to look into this more ...

DR