[arch-general] Interesting install of 2009.02 with multiple dmraid devices present

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Apr 21 03:44:10 EDT 2009

Listmates,

	First post and... first install of Arch Linux went pretty well. The only fun
occurred with grub and getting the dmraid devices correctly numbered.
Thankfully somebody had blazed this trial before and the wiki had good
information to point me in the right direction:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_with_Fake-RAID

	What wasn't covered by the wiki was the situation involving multiple dmraid
devices (multiple sets of dmraid arrays). With this install, openSuSE 11.0
occupied the first dmraid device (nvidia_fdaacfde) and the Arch Linux install
was to the second device (nvidia_fffadgic). Needless to say, this led to a bit
of head scratching. The partition scheme I was working with was:

[02:34 archangel:/home/david] # ls -1 /dev/mapper
control
nvidia_fdaacfde
nvidia_fdaacfde5	openSuSE   /boot
nvidia_fdaacfde6	openSuSE    swap
nvidia_fdaacfde7	openSuSE   /
nvidia_fdaacfde8	openSuSE   /home
nvidia_fffadgic
nvidia_fffadgic5	archLinux  /
nvidia_fffadgic6	archLinux  /boot
nvidia_fffadgic7	archLinux  /home
nvidia_fffadgic8	archLinux   swap

<distro comments added above>

	For the install, the grub bootload install on nvidia_fdaacfde was used and
chainloader was used to boot the Arch Linux install. Works fine.

	I have updated the wiki page to accommodate the multiple dmraid device
scenario and fixed a few typos along the way. (although I may have added more)
I stayed as true to the existing format as I could, but whoever 'owns' the page
may want to take a look and see if it looks OK.

	Now all I have to do is figure out how to finish adding apps to the install
and we will be off and running ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC