[arch-general] What about codecs?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Apr 21 12:40:06 EDT 2009

Eric Bélanger schrieb:
> None of the A/V apps in Arch (at least in extra repo) use the codecs
> so installing the codecs package might have no effect. Most popular
> video formats are handled well by ffmpeg. I would suggest to post back
> if you have problems playing a specific video format.

At least mplayer uses them for formats it doesn't support natively (not
too many) and you can use codecs.conf to prefer the binary codecs over
the native ones. I think it is similar for xine(-lib) and thus for
basically any video application in KDE or GNOME.
That said, virtually every video I have come across in the last few
years plays fine with the codecs that are natively compiled into
mplayer, vlc or xine.
The codecs package was important to make mplayer useful over 5 years
ago, but not anymore.

In contrary to SuSE, all those packages are contained in our main
repositories with all codecs enabled, so there is nothing special to do
besides pacman'ing those packages.