[arch-general] Bit of a snag in starting kde3 - No devices detected - driver prob?

Andrei Thorp garoth at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 11:41:32 EDT 2009

>>        Lastly, are there any Arch Linux specific gui tools I should be
>> aware of? Like
>> for package config, etc..
>

> Get to know the AUR, abs, and the makepkg tool.  You'll be using makepkg a
> lot, as there's a pretty sizable number of packages in Arch that the devs
> don't maintain in the "core" or "extra" repos.  In these cases, although
> sometimes it might still be available as a binary package in the "community"
> repo (which is maintained by Arch Trusted Users), more often than not it'll
> be available as a PKGBUILD script in the AUR, in which case you'll need to
> build the package yourself from source using "makepkg".  Many packages are
> available from source only like this, and it's really not a big deal to deal
> with, once you get used to it. (Plus once you get comfortable with Arch,
> you'll probably want to start creating your own PKGBUILDs for packages that
> don't exist yet anywhere in Arch.)
>

> As far as other Arch-specific tools, there's really not many.  But I do use
> these from time to time:
>
> netcfg - a command-line utility that takes care of much of the hard work of
> connecting to a network.  You set up a profile for, for example, a wifi
> network, and you can then connect to it with a simple command "sudo netcfg
> <your_wifi_network_profile>"
>
> hwdetect - very useful in auto-detecting the correct kernel modules for your
> hardware.  e.g.  "sudo hwdetect --show-modules"
>

> You probably need to install them; I don't think they come preinstalled:
>
> sudo pacman -S netcfg hwdetect abs fakeroot

There are a couple GUI pacman frontends[1], but honestly, I can't
really see the value. The CLI for pacman is excellent.
I also like pkg tools, which has useful stuff like pkgfile. pkgfile is
an add-on that lets you find "which package provides this file". For
example, if I didn't know what package provides "kate", I could do
"pkgfile bin/kate" and it would tell me that it's from extra/kdesdk.

[1] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_GUI_Frontends

Cheers,

-AT