[arch-general] Bit of a snag in starting kde3 - No devices detected - driver prob?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Apr 23 12:17:56 EDT 2009

Andrei Thorp wrote:

> There are a couple GUI pacman frontends[1], but honestly, I can't
> really see the value. The CLI for pacman is excellent.
> I also like pkg tools, which has useful stuff like pkgfile. pkgfile is
> an add-on that lets you find "which package provides this file". For
> example, if I didn't know what package provides "kate", I could do
> "pkgfile bin/kate" and it would tell me that it's from extra/kdesdk.
>
> [1] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_GUI_Frontends
>
> Cheers,
>
> -AT

	Thanks Andrei! I see your point about pacman. On openSuSE, I did all package
management from the CLI with zypper, so no need for a gui with pacman. The only
thing I ever used yast for concerning package management, would be for massive
"downgrades" of packages where for example dropping from Xorg 7.3 back to 7.2
was easier with yast's search and then up/downgrade options.

	So far, Arch is killer. I am up and running. Have all the passwordless ssh
access done, samba up and configured, mysql up and secured. Now all I have to
do is generate the ca-certs and get apache2 configured with mod_ssl,
mod_deflate, and mod_rewrite and I'll have a replacement server build on arch.

	Then I can dive into hylafax with Avantfax front-end, configure ppp for a
dial-in server (so I can use the Arch box as a dial in ISP to access the cable
internet connection when I'm stuck at the lake w/o internet).

	After that, I'll be done...(tongue-in-cheek, we all know your are never really
done;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC