[arch-general] Crud! Rebooted Can't Login - No Mouse or Keyboard with kdm??

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Apr 23 14:40:41 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin wrote:
> Listmates,
>
> 	I broke it! Was up and running in kde3 just fine, so I thought I would make
> sure all was good and rebooted. The box booted beautifully and the Archlinux
> kdm screen nicely appeared and I thought I was ready to rock and roll, but when
> I grabbed the mouse - it didn't move?? Then I tried typing my pw, and no
> characters (or dots) appeared? The I tried ctrl+alt+backspace to kill X -- no
> joy. Then ctrl+alt+F1, still no joy.
>
> 	OK, ssh into box and kill kdm, back to normal login. Now I'm scratching my
> head on what to check to get my mouse and keyboard back? Any ideas?
>
>>From Xorg.0.log, this is obviously the problem:
>
> (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
> (WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmmouse'
> will be disabled.
> (WW) Disabling Keyboard0
> (WW) Disabling Mouse0
>
> 	Huh? They must have been there a minute ago what gives?
>
> 	I wonder how they got started last time?

My guess is that you don't have the kernel modules loaded that you need
to drive the kbd and mouse.  For starters, make sure "evdev" is in your
MODULES line in rc.conf.

You might also want to make sure that MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes" is set in your
rc.conf too.  That will automatically load most of the modules you need.

HTH,

DR