[arch-general] Help with /etc/fonts.conf

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Apr 28 06:10:01 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin wrote:
> Listmates,
>
> 	I have several additional fonts in /usr/local/share/fonts that I want
> configured for the system. I found /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and
> /etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf, but I'm unsure about the placement of my
> <dir></dir> location in the local.conf file. Currently I have chosen:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
> <fontconfig>
> 	<!-- Load local system customization file -->
> 	<include ignore_missing="yes">local.conf</include>
> 		<dir>/usr/local/share/fonts</dir>
> </fontconfig>
>
> 	My question is "does it matter whether the <dir> statement comes before or
> after the <include> and what do I need to do after I add the <dir> statement in
> 51-local.conf to make the system create a new font config?

	I found additional information and things seem to be working great. Following
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_Font_Configuration after adding my
<dir> statement as shown above, I ran:

# fc-cache -fv
<snip>
/usr/local/share/fonts: caching, new cache contents: 46 fonts, 0 dirs

	So it looks like its pickup up my fonts. I ran through the rest of the wiki
and all is good!

	Now on to my next Arch install. The first was x86_64, the next is i686. Then
I'll have a complete site of Arch packages for the next install, no matter what
it is;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC