[arch-general] WPA2 - How to set with ACX card??

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Apr 29 06:54:55 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin schrieb:
> Listmates,
>
> 	My second Arch box is now complete (well almost:-) This time a desktop box
> with a zytel wireless lan adapter using the TI acx chipset and its firmware 2
> is the acx111_2.3.1.31/tiacx111c16 firmware slice. The card is detected and
> works fine it think... I can open kwifimanager and it has my access point
> associated and I can watch the generic packets blip by and watch the strength
> meter do its thing, but I cannot authenticate :-(

Short answer: Throw that thing away!

Long answer: There is an opensource driver (tiacx, I think that is the
one from the repos) that was reverse-engineered, but IIRC has no support
for anything but WEP or Open. According to some linux wireless guys
(sorry, I don't have a source here, I only recall this from memory) this
driver was not created by proper clean-room techniques, so they cannot
reuse the code.

There is another driver called tiacx-mac80211 that should support WPA
and such, but is apparently very broken/unfinished and was created from
the tiacx source, so the above applies again.

The only chance of getting reliable WPA with the tiacx chipset is
probably ndiswrapper.