[arch-general] WPA2 - How to set with ACX card??

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Apr 29 17:23:39 EDT 2009

Thomas Bächler wrote:
> David C. Rankin schrieb:
>> Listmates,
>>
>>     My second Arch box is now complete (well almost:-) This time a
>> desktop box
>> with a zytel wireless lan adapter using the TI acx chipset and its
>> firmware 2
>> is the acx111_2.3.1.31/tiacx111c16 firmware slice. The card is
>> detected and
>> works fine it think... I can open kwifimanager and it has my access point
>> associated and I can watch the generic packets blip by and watch the
>> strength
>> meter do its thing, but I cannot authenticate :-(
>
> Short answer: Throw that thing away!
>
> Long answer: There is an opensource driver (tiacx, I think that is the
> one from the repos) that was reverse-engineered, but IIRC has no support
> for anything but WEP or Open. According to some linux wireless guys
> (sorry, I don't have a source here, I only recall this from memory) this
> driver was not created by proper clean-room techniques, so they cannot
> reuse the code.
>
> There is another driver called tiacx-mac80211 that should support WPA
> and such, but is apparently very broken/unfinished and was created from
> the tiacx source, so the above applies again.
>
> The only chance of getting reliable WPA with the tiacx chipset is
> probably ndiswrapper.

UUgh!

	No wonder the wireless cards were being excessed for $14. You hit the nail on
the head Thomas:

[16:02 supersff:/home/david] # wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -i wlan0 -c
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd
Initializing interface 'wlan0' conf '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'wext'
ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
Configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
ctrl_interface='DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel'
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
Line: 6 - start of a new network block
<snip>
WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=1, operstate=5
Own MAC address: 00:13:49:54:2b:c9
wpa_driver_wext_set_wpa
Driver does not support WPA.

** I updated the wiki to reflect this fact.

	Well, since it works flawlessly under XP and I have the install CD, looks like
I'll have to put my dislike of using the windows driver aside and run
ndiswrapper :-(

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC