[arch-general] WPA2 - How to set with ACX card??

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Apr 29 20:53:46 EDT 2009

Thomas Bächler wrote:
> David C. Rankin schrieb:
>> Listmates,
>>
>>     My second Arch box is now complete (well almost:-) This time a
>> desktop box
>> with a zytel wireless lan adapter using the TI acx chipset and its
>> firmware 2
>> is the acx111_2.3.1.31/tiacx111c16 firmware slice. The card is
>> detected and
>> works fine it think... I can open kwifimanager and it has my access point
>> associated and I can watch the generic packets blip by and watch the
>> strength
>> meter do its thing, but I cannot authenticate :-(
>
> Short answer: Throw that thing away!

Thomas, all,

	I think I may be dead in the water with this card using WPA under Linux. The
problem is that there isn't a *single* windows driver that provides WPA
capabilities for the card. Specifically, in order to provide wpa access, this
wireless card relies on the following files for basic wireless with WEP:

FwRad16.bin
FwRad17.bin
FwRad19.bin
TNET1130.INF
TNET1130.sys

	And then requires the following for WPA access:

odysseyIM3.inf
odysseyIM3.sys

	The odyssey driver is a separate add-on driver that windows uses as a
"wrapper" for the tnet1130 driver to provide added WPA capabilities.

	ndiswrapper will load the tnet1130 driver without complaint, and the
ndiswrapper -l show the driver properly installed. The odyssey driver will
load, but ndiswrapper -l shows the driver is "not a valid driver". Further,
even though the tnet1130 driver loads, the essid cannot be manipulated with
iwconfig, so I'm doubtful that even the basic wireless will work under ndiswrapper.

	Unless somebody has a stroke of genius and can let me know "hey, Rankin, you
are going about this all wrong!" I think the case is pretty much closed on this
one...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC