[arch-general] WPA2 - How to set with ACX card??

Andrei Thorp garoth at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 09:27:11 EDT 2009

Yeah, sorry to hear. I guess you should think about getting a
different cheap wireless card and check if it is supported first. I
find that a lot are these days.

Anyway, netcfg: I was a bit skeptical about this whole idea of
non-automatic wireless via command line and specifically configuration
files, but I must say, it's pretty nice overall. There are
occasionally a couple glitches here and there (like just now, it
didn't notice that my connection dropped and the profile stayed on.
Solved by just turning it off/on manually.), but in the whole, this is
the most solid, most automatic network system I've used. Setting up
profiles, it turns out, is pretty much as simple as typing in your
network information into your normal network manager. netcfg is also
conveniently tied into rc.conf, so you can just dump your common
networks in there in order of preference and you're done. I love this
-- networkmanager still frequently connects to the neighbours'
wireless rather than my own.

Also, just as something to get you started maybe, attached is a small
script that scans for networks in the area and returns you their names
+ encryption status. This script could certainly use some improvement,
but maybe you'll find some use for it if you decide to go the netcfg
way eventually.

Cheers,

-AT