[arch-general] Can I downgrade the nvidia driver w/o downgrading the kernel?

Nathan K. Bathory kumyco at kh.nu
Sat Aug 22 00:58:46 EDT 2009

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 22:16:03 -0300
Denis A. Altoé Falqueto <denisfalqueto at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:10 PM, <Nezmer at allurelinux.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 09:55:21PM -0300, Denis A. Alto? Falqueto
> > wrote:
> >> 5. rebuild your copy to make your own package
> >> 6. uninstall the official nvidia package
> >> 7. install yours
> >> 8. cross your fingers... just kidding :)
> >>
> > I would suggest uninstalling the official package 1st as It's a
> > kernel module .
> >

> Hi, Nezmer.
>
> I didn't understand what you mean. Did you suggest to uninstall the
> official nvidia package before all the instructions you cite? I think
> that would not afect the compilation, because the new package is built
> on a fakeroot environment, isolated from the real system. But I may
> have misunderstood you.

I'm not sure what the uninstalling is about (maybe a mix-up with the
post_upgrade where it automatically tries to remove the loaded
module). In either case you don't need to reboot, after installation of
your custom package, logout then switch to another console ctrl+alt+F1.
Login then exec:
`sudo /etc/rc.d/kdm stop`
this should shutdown the X Server
as well then exec: