[arch-general] How to choose which grub entry boots next from the cli via ssh in Arch?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Aug 26 02:44:29 UTC 2009

Listmates,

	How do I choose which grub entry will boot the next time the machine is
rebooted from the command line? In suse there is a package called 'grubonce'
which you issue from the command line giving the grub entry you want to boot
next. Example, if your menu.lst looks like:

# (0) Arch Linux - The Ferarri of Distros
title  Arch Linux on SuperSFF
root   (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda6 ro vga=0x317
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

# (1) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux Fallback
root   (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda6 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img

# (2) Arch Linux LTS
title  Arch Linux LTS on SuperSFF
root   (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26-lts root=/dev/sda6 ro vga=0x31a
initrd /boot/kernel26-lts.img

	I could issue:

# grubonce 2

	and Arch Linux LTS would be booted next. I thought the grubonce package was
part of grub, but it isn't. Also, I don't need it for a local machine
(obviously), but I need something I can use via ssh. What do we use here?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC