[arch-general] How to choose which grub entry boots next from the cli via ssh in Arch?

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Wed Aug 26 02:51:50 UTC 2009

On 26.08.2009 04:44, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Listmates,
>
> 	How do I choose which grub entry will boot the next time the machine is
> rebooted from the command line? In suse there is a package called 'grubonce'
> which you issue from the command line giving the grub entry you want to boot
> next. Example, if your menu.lst looks like:
>
> # (0) Arch Linux - The Ferarri of Distros
> title  Arch Linux on SuperSFF
> root   (hd0,7)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda6 ro vga=0x317
> initrd /boot/kernel26.img
>
> # (1) Arch Linux
> title  Arch Linux Fallback
> root   (hd0,7)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda6 ro
> initrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img
>
> # (2) Arch Linux LTS
> title  Arch Linux LTS on SuperSFF
> root   (hd0,7)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz26-lts root=/dev/sda6 ro vga=0x31a
> initrd /boot/kernel26-lts.img
>
> 	I could issue:
>
> # grubonce 2
>
> 	and Arch Linux LTS would be booted next. I thought the grubonce package was
> part of grub, but it isn't. Also, I don't need it for a local machine
> (obviously), but I need something I can use via ssh. What do we use here?

There are multiple ways:
You can put "default   2" at the very top of your menu.lst which will
always select the 2nd entry (0-based) by default.
Another and maybe more modern way to do it is to add "default   saved"
at the top and then add "savedefault" below each individual entry. This
way, Grub will always select the last selected entry.