[arch-general] How to choose which grub entry boots next from the cli via ssh in Arch?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Aug 26 04:54:21 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 25 August 2009 09:51:50 pm Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:

> There are multiple ways:
> You can put "default   2" at the very top of your menu.lst which will
> always select the 2nd entry (0-based) by default.
> Another and maybe more modern way to do it is to add "default   saved"
> at the top and then add "savedefault" below each individual entry. This
> way, Grub will always select the last selected entry.

Sven,

	Thanks, sorry, I know all that. I'm looking for a quick command that does NOT
alter the menu.lst file, but sets some type of flag that tells grub do NOT
boot the default entry, instead, boot entry 5.

	I know there is something in kde4 that will do it because when you hold-down
the Restart option, you can set the next OS you want to boot if you have more
than 1 entry in menu.lst. Ever hear of anything like that for Arch?

	With grubonce, you just enter grubonce (without arguments) and it returns a
list of what is in your menu.lst file:

[23:52 dcrgx/home/david/scripts/file] # grubonce
0: openSUSE 11.0 - 2.6.25.20-0.5
1: Failsafe -- openSUSE 11.0 - 2.6.25.20-0.5
2: openSUSE 11.1 - 2.6.27.19-3.2 (/dev/sdb1)
3: Windows

	Then all you have to do is issue the command:

# grubonce 2

and you will boot suse 11.1 next time. That's what I'm looking for. I'll keep
digging.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC