[arch-general] introducing kernel26-lts

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Aug 26 15:25:20 UTC 2009

On 08/26/2009 02:23 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Andreas,
>
> 	How do you handle the situation where you are running the nvidia driver on
> the normal kernel and then boot to the lts kernel? The kernel boots fine, but
> X is dead, presumably because the nvidia driver isn't compiled against that
> kernel and laughs when you tell it to start. Any way of having a separate
> driver in the lts kernel module tree? To do that would you just install the
> nvidia driver again while the lts kernel is running and have it get put in the
> right place?
>
> 	I guess so, I'll give it a go tomorrow. If that sounds like a really bad
> idea, let me know. Thanks.

Sounds like a bad idea to me.  As Andreas indicated, the intended use of
the lts kernel is for servers, in order to let them avoid frequent
kernel upgrades.  It'd be a huge amount more work for him to provide
desktop-oriented modules for that kernel as well (e.g., various video
cards, various wireless network cards, virtualbox, etc.)

DR