[arch-general] introducing kernel26-lts

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 15:29:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:25 AM, David Rosenstrauch<darose at darose.net> wrote:
> On 08/26/2009 02:23 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>>
>> Andreas,
>>
>>        How do you handle the situation where you are running the nvidia
>> driver on the normal kernel and then boot to the lts kernel? The kernel
>> boots fine, but X is dead, presumably because the nvidia driver isn't
>> compiled against that kernel and laughs when you tell it to start. Any way
>> of having a separate driver in the lts kernel module tree? To do that would
>> you just install the nvidia driver again while the lts kernel is running and
>> have it get put in the right place?
>>
>>        I guess so, I'll give it a go tomorrow. If that sounds like a
>> really bad idea, let me know. Thanks.
>

> Sounds like a bad idea to me.  As Andreas indicated, the intended use of the
> lts kernel is for servers, in order to let them avoid frequent kernel
> upgrades.  It'd be a huge amount more work for him to provide
> desktop-oriented modules for that kernel as well (e.g., various video cards,
> various wireless network cards, virtualbox, etc.)

I half-way agree. The issue is that, no matter what you _intend_ with
something, people will always do something you don't expect. It's part
of the reason you see warnings like "Do not put in nose" on a package
for an electric toothbrush :)

We _may_ have to maintain the out-of-tree network drivers, at the very
least, but I don't know if nvidia is worth it. Perhaps someone will
begin making a side repo with additional LTS modules (*hint* *hint*)