[arch-general] xf86-input-evdev conflicts with xorg-server. Remove xorg-server?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 15:37:09 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Arvid Picciani <aep at exys.org> wrote:
> Aaron,
>
>> Oh shit, seriously? Looks like I'll have to rebuild this as well.
>
> It's your distro. I fail to see the whole reason why you have always been in
> support of KISS and the arch way, but never seem to take action to enforce
> it. Maybe it's something social, which i tend to be ignorant towards.

Well, I'm not an Xorg authority, nor am I the packager of it. I
imagine removing this will have a detrimental effect to all those
people using the large monolithic desktop environments, but cannot
make a factual claim either way. The point is, just because *I* prefer
something one way doesn't mean it's a good decision at the distro
level. Jan has always done a good job in the past of keeping Xorg as
impartial as possible without breaking things, and I'm assuming he did
the same here.

> I find it hard to argue about the mentioned user base, since its supposed
> favorite distro archlinux, does in fact add downstream patches to ADD the
> very features i am opposing. I assume, for now, removing those again via abs
> is acceptable for most power users, including me and you, until someone
> finally forks arch. You'd be perfectly suited to throw the first stone,
> Aaron.

I'm confused by this. It seems rather standoffish and I'm not sure
what you're trying to say here. As I alluded to early, I do not watch
each and every single package change that is made. No one has the time
for that. That is why we have maintainers we can generally trust about
these decisions.

Which package has patches to add these features? Looking at
xorg-server, I only see one extraneous patch that simple replaces the
default grey stipple pattern with black. The rest seem (at a glance)
to fix real bugs