[arch-general] [OT] What is wrong with DBus anyway?

Pierre Chapuis catwell at archlinux.us
Thu Dec 3 18:51:03 EST 2009

Le Thu, 3 Dec 2009 21:58:25 +0100,
Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Pierre Chapuis <catwell at archlinux.us> wrote:
> >
> > I like D-Bus because it can actually simplify the applications that
> > rely on it and avoid reiventing the wheel. But I do agree that
> > applications that *don't* need to communicate with other applications
> > have no reason to be linked against it!
> >

> Is there any application that actually does that ?

Take gedit for example. It is a text editor, and:

    [23:44 TA|catwell] ldd $(which gedit) | grep dbus
	    libdbus-glib-1.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.so.2 (0x00007f5df48bb000)
	    libdbus-1.so.3 => /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3 (0x00007f5df467c000)

AFAIK it uses dbus only to communicate with itself (between its instances).
There is no iteroperability problem, so D-Bus is not that useful to me.
But then again, maybe I don't know how gedit works well enough to judge...

--
catwell