[arch-general] peaceful suggestion to clarify "the arch way" to avoid this to happen AGAIN

Dwight Schauer dschauer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 18:26:45 EST 2009

2009/12/3 Arvid Picciani <aep at exys.org>:
> Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
>
>> I actually think the you've been over-focusing on a single part of the
>> 'arch way', that its 'all about' minimalism.
>
> then i suggest we remove the statement that it is all about minimalism.
>
>> Throughout this thread the vibe I've been getting for you is that you
>> somehow feel disadvantaged and biased-against because dbus/hal exist and
>> are selected as options in building general-purpose binaries.
>
> I feel in fact like wasting my time.
>
> I am a very simple person.  I understand "fuck you" very well and can handle
> it,  other things like blurry project goals make me act stupid.
>
>> Why is Arch not for the minimalist user?
>
> Because it was officially stated by two arch devs that it is not.
>
>> Because dbus/hal are enabled in
>> some packages in binary?
>
> Because its philosophy does not match. That goes way deeper then
> arguing vim vs emacs.
>

> Please, can we stop beating it now, and just officialy tell minimalists to
> fuck off so everyone can stop wasting their time?
>
> --
> Arvid
> Asgaard Technologies

It all just depends on the degree of minimalism one is after. I went
from Gentoo to Ubuntu to Arch Linux (With a whole lot of other distros
before and in between, including Crux, Slackware, and the BSDs). For
me, Arch is far more minimal than Gentoo and Ubuntu. (More minimal
than Gentoo because package building is minimized, and more minimal
than Ubuntu as far as package dependencies/complexities and also
configuration/runlevels/etc).

For me Arch is the best balance of minimalism and overall
functionality that I've found in any Linux distro. Yes, compared to
slackware, Arch Linux might not be minimal, but compared to the
desktop distros Fedora, Ubuntu, Mandriva, OpenSUSE, and the likes,
ArchLinux is very lightweight and minimal.

Arch can't be the ideal distro for everybody. Like others have said,
it is what you make it, and being able to easily add your own packages
and repositories makes Arch far flexible than the non minimal desktop
distros.

Yeah, maybe I should not add to this discussion. It has gone on long enough.

Dwight