[arch-general] [OT] What is wrong with DBus anyway?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Fri Dec 4 17:38:02 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 10:55:32PM +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Fri, 4 Dec 2009 22:11:08 +0100
> schrieb fons at kokkinizita.net:
>
> > It is not beside the point. To create a new tab, just provide
> > a 'New Tab' button. Or have tabs from the start and label the
> > next free one '+'. It doesn't require IPC at all.
>
> You're not forced to using gedit.

THAT is completely irrelevant. I never claimed
to be forced to use it.

The point is that you can allow a user to have multiple
tabs by providing an interface to request a new tab.
This still leaves the user the choice not to have new
tab by starting a new instance instead of using the
new tab option. Providing this does not require IPC.

Instead of this, you prefer to limit the user's choice
by creating a new tab even if the user starts a new
instance. This removes a valuable choice.

What is the rationale for doing this ? What is the
rationale for forcing a single instance, apart from
having a reason to use IPC ?

Ciao,

--
FA