[arch-general] [OT] What is wrong with DBus anyway?

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Fri Dec 4 18:07:19 EST 2009

Am Fri, 4 Dec 2009 23:38:02 +0100
schrieb fons at kokkinizita.net:

> THAT is completely irrelevant. I never claimed
> to be forced to use it.

THAT is completely relevant. You don't want a text editor which uses
IPC so don't use one.

> The point is that you can allow a user to have multiple
> tabs by providing an interface to request a new tab.
> This still leaves the user the choice not to have new
> tab by starting a new instance instead of using the
> new tab option. Providing this does not require IPC.

And what? The gedit devs want to use IPC and they likely have reasons
for this. If you don't like this don't use gedit or file a bug report
to gedit upstream.

> Instead of this, you prefer to limit the user's choice
> by creating a new tab even if the user starts a new
> instance. This removes a valuable choice.

This is indeed a valuable choice, choosing between opening a new
instance which requires more resources than opening a new tab which
requires less resources. I bet you can configure if a text file should
be opened in a new instance or in a new tab. Otherwise don't click on
the new tab but start a new instance.

Other option: Use mousepad. It can only handle one file at a time.
Every file is opened in a separate instance.

Or use nano, also no multi-file editor. And there's still echo.

Which choice is removed by gedit?

Heiko