[arch-general] Good press at distrowatch.com

Denis Kobozev d.v.kobozev at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 21:16:45 EST 2009

2009/12/17 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com>:
> Ubuntu's installer goes much faster though, if the benchmark is 'to a
> working gnome system', especially for those of us with slow internet
> connections who aren't able to download half a Gb here and there at the
> snap of a finger.

Maybe "user-friendliness" was the wrong thing to bring up, but for
most reviews on distrowatch.com, "working ghome/kde/[your DE of
choice] systems" is the benchmark. Other things, such as freshness of
packages, don't matter as much, so I do believe that their reviews
target a specific audience. If you're just getting started with Linux,
there's a slim chance that you'll understand why systems such as Arch
or Gentoo even exist from their reviews.

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> it's not about userfriendliness, which is a very subjective topic.
> it's about time duration, which is scientifically measurable.

Automated scripted installation should be faster, by definition. Is
there a script / config file for AIF that will install a full system
with DE, akin to Archiso-live?

Denis.