[arch-general] Good press at distrowatch.com

Robert Howard rjh0507 at ecu.edu
Sat Dec 19 16:51:54 EST 2009

I always liked the Arch installer from the 0.7 days. I used to be able to
setup an entire system in less than ten minutes and be ready to do work. The
latest Arch installer makes it take more like fifteen minutes instead. Of
course, that older Arch didn't have to cope with initcpio or any other early
userspace magic.

On Dec 19, 2009 4:43 PM, "Frédéric Perrin" <frederic.perrin at resel.fr> wrote:

Le jeudi 17 à 20:35, Dieter Plaetinck a écrit :

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:33:22 -0500 > Denis Kobozev <d.v.kobozev at gmail.com>
wrote: >> On Thu, Dec 1...
You've never installed Debian/Ubuntu with a preseed.cfg file that answer
all the questions for you (or, at your option, as many or as few
questions as you wish)? You've never used FAI (Fully Automated
Installed) either? (Well, I haven't, but a friend of mine, an Arch user,
did, and he has only good things to say about its flexibility and the
ease of setup.)

I love to hate Ubuntu as much as the next guy, but the installer is not
somewhere where Arch has an advantage. If you want an easy to use
installer, as David pointed out in further in the thread, you go it; if
you want to build an ISO that answers all the installer questions,
you got it; if you want a setup where you can plug a machine, tell it to
boot over the network, go drink a coffee and go back to a system
completly installed, you got it.

--
Fred